Thursday, April 15, 2010

Part 2



My fear of having nothing to talk about lasted till we got out of our drive way. We said our good byes to our guests at the Villa, then to Richard and Lindsay. We had our cup of coffee, our snacks, our GPS and we were off and running.
The first part of the trip was very tropical, much like Platanitos. But it was an area I had never seen. Villages both big and small till we hit the toll road. Lots of vendors at that time of morning selling orange juice and muffins. If I could have gotten Paul to slow down I would have grabbed me a glass of that juice. It even included a glass!! Normally it is just a plastic bag with a straw in it. But this was first class stuff, real glass too.
Once on the toll road it was much like our highways and there was plenty to look at. Although Paul and I talked a lot.
We talked about all sorts of things. Some very deep and some very funny. We talked about the crazy things we see in Mexico and we talked about the beautiful things Mexico has to offer. We talked a lot about our lives in Mexico and where this journey will take us in the future. I think it is always hard to leave "comfort" and make big changes. We did not solve all the problems or questions we have, but it is always good to air concerns and work through it. We know this is not something many people would do, but that has never been our style. My mother always told me "go out on a limb, that's where the good fruit is". Paul and I have always taken that to heart and lived our lives together that way. We never waited round for someone to make our life better, we did it. For the last 30 years we have worked hard, taken some crazy risks, and tried very hard to laugh when we were scared to death. I guess we will cross all of our future bridges when we get them.
Our first night was spent in Ciudad Obergon. It was a really nice little hotel. Clean room, very nice pillows. Once in our room we noticed that it was also the hotel of choice for the Federal Police. At this point I felt very, very safe. All of them were very nice and polite. I did walk out side and stood for a few minutes to see them coming and going and then I relized how I must have looked hanging out in my PJ's in front of a hotel room. I thought I should go in for the night.

2 comments:

Jan said...

I've made the trip so many times over the years and always loved it. Never stayed in Obregon. usually in Mazatlan and then Guaymas; hence the love for San Carlos and the move. Next time you will have to stop and stay with us in San Carlos. We can't wait to get back home from HK. We miss Mexico terribly. It is home.

SarahinOK said...

Thanks for the info. I'll look into Living Without. We've added a new thing to our diet lately for immune system strength/blood sugar control- Flax Hull Lignans- and I'll wait another few months before I proclaim it's glory, but it seems to be helping my immuno-weak kiddo... I actually just looked at Jill's blog yesterday about the cool new 'cheese' she discovered.
There are some really great research studies/findings lately that leave me really encouraged that a cure/preventive measures will be found within our lifetime. I've been forwarding stuff to my PhD Biochemist brother to get his take on some of the articles...
I'll definitely check out the celiac connections though. I'm open to almost anything! :)