Monday, March 8, 2010

A Sad Good-bye




For people that know me, they know that I am a very strong woman. There are up and downs to being strong at times. One of these moments came on our last trip to Mexico.

We've had a beach dog at the villa for about eight months. We named her "Hope" because she was in such poor health that we hoped she would make it, we hoped she would stick around, we hoped she had found a good life with us. She only walked on three legs, her teeth were down to nubs from eating off the beach for the last eight or nine years, and God only knows what else. Like always, I started giving her antibiotics and food (she was so skinny). She seemed to be gaining her health back when she got pregnant. She miscarried the pups about a month ago and almost died. I decided that we had to get her spayed, that she could not stand another litter of pups. I arranged to take her to the free clinic on that last trip.

I was so excited to get her to the clinic, that by doing so, it would make her remaining life better. She did not make it through the surgery. They told us she had a massive lung infection. We were so sad and disappointed that this decision to help her cost her life. I am so sad about losing our Hope. I just hope that in the short time we had her that we made her happy, and that all the love and tummy scritches we gave her while she was with us made her final moments of life happy. We hope she is at peace now.

No comments: